Scientist with excellent C-programming skills
The Royal Meteorological Institute of Belgium wants to hire a scientist with excellent C-programming skills to support our Earth Radiation Budget projects.
The contract will have an initial duration of 2 years, but the position could evolve towards a long-term contract.
The scientist will primarily support our participation in the Geostationary Earth Radiation Budget (GERB, see http://gerb.oma.be) experiment, an instrument on the Meteosat second generation satellites. GERB is an international project in collaboration with the European Meteorological Satellite organisation (EUMETSAT), the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory and Imperial College London as main partners. Our primary contribution to the project consists in the generation of the level 2 GERB data records of top of atmosphere radiative fluxes from the level 1 instrument data.
His/her tasks will be:
- Scientific analysis of the GERB data involving: (i) the processing and the statistical analysis of large amount of satellite data, (ii) the modelling of the radiation in its spectral, angular, temporal and spatial dimensions to make the data useful for the scientific community, (iii) propose scientific improvements to the GERB data.
- Development, integration and validation of new features to be implemented in the GERB data processing system (C programming language).
- Participation in the administration and day-to-day operation of the satellite processing infrastructure, and reporting at international meetings.
The candidate should have at least:
- A master, with relevant experience, or PhD degree in natural sciences and/or engineering.
- Affinity with scientific research in the field of (geo)physics, e.g. inmeteorology, climatology, or satellite remote sensing.
- Proven working experience with the UNIX/Linux operating system.
- Proven working experience with at least one scientific programming language (e.g. C, C++, Fortran, …).
- Good working knowledge of English.
The following skills will be considered assets:
- Working experience with at least one scripting language (Bash shell, Perl, Python, …).
- Working experience with relevant data format (netcdf, hdf, …), processing and visualization languages (R, …)
- Working experience with project management tools (git, …).
- Although not mandatory, any experience in server and service management, as well as with maintaining ICT hardware, is a valuable asset for this position. Candidates, who must be Citizen of the European Economic Area or from an EUMETSAT member state, should send their CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is open until filled. Additional information can also be obtained from email@example.com .