Travailler à l'IRM
SCIENTIFIC ASSISTANT PRECIPITATION TYPE (Ref. PRECIP-TYPE)
The Observation Scientific Service of the Royal Meteorological Institute of Belgium invites applications for a scientific assistant. The selected candidate will join the radar and lightning detection group (https://www.meteo.be/en/research-v1/scope-of-research/weather-radar) for a 2-year research project on the identification of precipitation type (e.g. rain, hail, snow) making use of weather radar measurements, numerical weather prediction (NWP), and conventional and crowdsourced ground observations.
The type of hydrometeors can be estimated at the height of radar measurements using dual-polarization radar data and temperature information. For deriving hydrometeor classification at ground level, physically-based approaches can be followed simulating the transformation (essentially melting) of hydrometeors between the radar measurement height and the ground. Data-driven approaches, e.g. machine learning techniques, can be explored as well. Both approaches require an extensive dataset of ground observations of precipitation type. However, such observations are hardly available from conventional observation networks. Citizen observations collected through the reporting functionality of the RMI smartphone app are now available and will be extensively used in the project.
- University degree (PhD, Master or equivalent) in engineering or in physical, mathematical, atmospheric science or related area.
- Good knowledge of meteorology including precipitation processes and remote sensing observations.
- Advanced skills in programming and scripting in a Linux/Unix environment and familiarity with visualization tools.
- Experience of research and development in meteorology, remote sensing or related field
- Practical experience in the processing and analysis of observational data.
- Good written and oral communication skills in English. Knowledge of Dutch and/or French is a plus.
- Ability to write scientific and technical reports.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in a team.
• Dynamic working environment, with many international contacts.
• Flexible working hours.
• Reimbursement of public transport commuter travel costs or bicycle allowance.
• Partial indemnification of the contribution for hospitalisation insurance.
To apply, please send a curriculum vitae, a list of publications and a statement of interest to email@example.com with reference PRECIP-TYPE.