Position at the Royal Meteorological Institute of Belgium
The Royal Meteorological Institute of Belgium (RMI) is hiring a postdoctoral researcher in the context of a project financed by BELSPO for a period of one year with potential extension. The project title is “Forest regeneration under climate and environmental changes (REGE+)” and is coordinated by UCL (Université Catholique de Louvain). More information on the project and consortium can be found here. The objective of the RMI within REGE+ is to design and perform bias correction techniques on climate projection scenarios in collaboration with forestry modeling groups.
Climate model projections allow us to estimate the impact of climate change. However, before such data can be used in the context of forestry modelling, bias correction is required. This statistical correction aims at removing systematic errors in the output of climate models. These errors stem from the fact that the climate models substantially simplify reality. Different bias-correction techniques already exist, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. They should, however, be carefully tailored, tested and tuned for the specific goal which, here, is forestry modelling. Therefore the emphasis here will be on a realistic representation of drought properties and a preservation of the physical link between different climate variables using so-called “multivariate” corrections.
The aim is to develop and validate bias correction techniques against existing ones and apply them on high-resolution climate data for Belgium. This will be done in close collaboration with the other REGE+ project partners.
- A PhD degree or a Master degree in Science in mathematics, physics or geoscience
- A good knowledge of English
- Assets include a strong background in mathematics, experience with climate data and linux systems, and knowledge of surface processes.
- An ability to work within a team and to easily communicate research at the international level
- For a PhD, contract at the level of SW2 of the Federal Belgian Scientific career for a 1-year period, with potentially extension. For a Masters degree, a contract at the level of SW1 of the Federal Belgian Scientific career for a 1-year period, with potentially extension.
- Reimbursement of the local public transports.
- A nice working environment.
- Possibility of partial teleworking.
If you are interested by this position, please send by email a motivation letter and a Curriculum Vitae to Bert Van Schaeybroeck (firstname.lastname@example.org), beforeSeptember 24, 2021, and mentioning in the subject of the email the acronym of the project (REGE+). Additional information can also be requested to Bert Van Schaeybroeck (email@example.com).