A full time position is open at Meteorological and Climatological Research Service of the Royal Meteorological Institute of Belgium for a postdoc research scientist (m/f/x) in reinforcement of its activities related to Earth Observation (EO) data exploitation in evapotranspiration and land surface heat fluxes models.
The successful candidate will integrate a team which is currently composed by two scientific developers and a coordinator involved in national and international projects. The team develops a continental scale evapotranspiration and surface heat fluxes algorithm based on European meteorological satellites. It participates to both EUMETSAT LSA and CM SAFs as well as to the Belspo Ecoprophet projects for the exploitation of EO satellites (for further details, see LSA SAF, CM SAF and Ecoprophet projects description in http://hydroland.meteo.be).
The candidate will contribute to the quality assessment and further developments of the algorithms used by RMI, including data processing (from ground observation, satellites and meteorological models output), running numerical models, analysing the results and performing scientific validation. He/she will pursue methodological developments by means of numerical physical parameterizations and mathematical tools. More specifically, he will do actively research and developments in view to the improvement of the algorithms in the vegetation phenology module of land surface models used at RMI and to an even enhanced EO data exploitation through implementation of assimilation methods in land surface models.
He/she will write reports and scientific papers, present talks and posters at scientific meetings or conferences, review the scientific literature and make critical analyses in view to suggesting future developments.
The contract is for one year with possibility of extension to a second year in case of mutual satisfaction. The salary will be fixed based on past experience, following the rules of the Belgian legislation.
- PhD in physics, mathematics, or in civil/bio engineering.
- Deep knowledge of physics and / or mathematics for temporal and spatial datasets processing and physical processes modelling.
- Prior experience in scientific programing languages (preferably Fortran), in both computing and visualization tools (Python, Matlab, R), and in Linux environment.
- Good working knowledge of English.
- Effective ability to work in a team and independently.
- Experience and good writer of reports and scientific publications.
- Availability to travel for occasional scientific missions within Europe.
- Experience of research and development in atmospheric or environmental sciences.
- Practical experience in meteorological / hydrological modelling, remote sensing and data assimilation.
- Experience in numerical processing of large amount of data and ability to critically analyse data in view to interpretation.
You are available to start as soon as possible (expected date: 1st July 2019).
To apply, please send a letter of motivation (maximum 1 page) and curriculum vitae (CV) with the reference “EO exploitation and land surface modelling” as soon as possible and before 25th May 2019 to:
Béatrice Libioulle (secretary)
Royal Meteorological Institute of Belgium
Avenue Circulaire, 3
B-1180 Brussels – Belgium.
The motivation letter will explain how far the candidate scientific activities fit the requested profile.
The CV will contain at least:
• The candidate’s full coordinates (name, home and email addresses, etc.).
• The diplomas obtained (including scores or grades if applicable).
• A list of the different positions (jobs).
• A publication list in 4 categories: peer-reviewed in international journals, proceedings of international meetings, technical reports, others.
• A list of presentations in international meetings.
• At least one potential referee (name, Email, phone and address).
A template of standard CV for scientific functions is available at https://www.meteo.be/en/about-rmi/to-work-at-the-rmi .